Long distance relationship canada and usa

long distance relationship canada and usa

Does absence really make the heart grow fonder in a relationship? For some it doesn't – but for more than million Canadians (or 7 per cent. We spent 3 years in a long distance relationship, and share our tips so yours can If you would like to stay in touch, or have a direct line to ask us for advice on your .. I am in a long distance relationship (Canada-USA mind you we try to see . I lived in England for almost a year, and then he came to Canada for a year on a work permit. After a long distance relationship, Breanna and her husband travelled Deployments, courses, etc, are the toughest times for us.

So this winter February will mark their 2-year anniversary. Of course we want my brother to stay here and her to move to Chicago and she wants the opposite: When I moved back to Chicago after college my mother told me only semi-jokingly that I was never allowed to move away again.

Would he even be allowed to work? How difficult is it to get a Visa? My brother is also the type of guy to completely lose it whenever a relationship ends. He cares about her very much. When my brother got the manager job we are all ecstatic because his gf was not working at the time so we figured my brother included that it now made more sense for her to move here.

I truly want my brother to be happy but I am so worried about him if he moves. Ugh, I feel so ridiculous writing this all out because these are not normal things to be worried about when talking about a year old man. I just want the best for my brother.

long distance relationship canada and usa

Also, if you read all of this: Here are some of the facts about each of us. American, current college student only associate's degree so farunemployed, living in New Jersey. Very close to family, physically and emotionally, and would like to continue living in the area. Canadian, some college education but didn't complete a degree and is not currently enrolled.

Employed in the Vancouver area. Not as close to family, more willing to relocate. Probably lurking this question. Neither of us have a lot of money, and unfortunately I hear that immigrating to Canada is a lot easier than trying to have him come here.

However, this doesn't have to be a permanent situation- I'm more interested in pushing a long-distance relationship into a 'hey, we should probably live together for a while before anyone does anything irreversible or permanent' type deal. What kind of options are out there for us?

You'd have to start thinking about what he's going to do after he graduates pretty far in advance of that happening, but a student visa would get him here for a while. I'm an American guy from Ohio who met a Canadian girl from Vancouver. We met online while she was finishing up school and I was in grad school.

Moving from US to Canada for LDR?

Our solution was, once I finished school, I found a job in the Seattle area so we could at least be in a more doable long-distance relationship hour drive times a month is a LOT better than spending a whole day flying internationally every 3 months. However, if you don't want to move cross-country which I understand since I'm pretty close to my family too and miss Ohio often I would lean towards brainmouse's suggestion of him getting a student visa since that's probably the easiest way for him to get in the country.

Canada is easier to emigrate to, but you need to be finished with school and get your skilled worker score. Perhaps as a compromise he could move to Toronto and you could move to Buffalo or Rochester and still be in the same timezone as your family at least and do the LDR thing that way.

According to google, it's only a 2 hour drive from Toronto to Buffalo and there's a lot of good SUNY schools in the area. Finally, you must check out visa-journey. I've found it to be an invaluable source of information regarding all things immigration.

Moving from US to Canada for LDR?

The forums are filled with tons of people in very similar situations and they all have great advice. Oh, and if you find yourselves getting more serious and he wants to immigrate to the USA, visajourney has excellent sample forms for the various visas.

Long Distance Relationship (TRUE LOVE) STORY Filipino / Norwegian

We did the K-1 fiance visa route memail me if you would like more information. Canada's labor demand right now is very much for skilled labor. That said, when I lived near Seattle it wasn't all that uncommon for Americans to either have immigrated to Canada or to be in the process of doing so.

Simply put -- one cannot enter the United States under a student visa with the intent of immigrating to the U. In other words, if the boyfriend came to the States as a student, married the OP, and then applied for immigration, that would be illegal under U. I'm not sure how this works in practice. But this doesn't sound like a promising case.

Why would a resident of Vancouver suddenly up and apply to a college in New Jersey where his girlfriend just happens to live? That scenario has dual intent written all over it. I can bottom-line this for you -- unless you plan to get married soon, any talk of immigration is a non-starter.

Getting engaged will allow you to begin the long and painful process of applying for a K-1 fiance visa if your boyfriend wants to come to the States. If you actually get married, applying to become a Permanent Resident of Canada should not be too difficult.

I'm not sure if there are any requirements along those same lines in Canada. I just wanted to spell things out clearly because the U. I verified this in the meantime. I don't believe Canada has any such minimum for marriage-related Family Class visas I've never heard of dual intent, and I'd like to read more about it. Thanks to all so far, looking forward to more ideas and different perspectives.

In the strictest sense of the law, yes, partially except the STEM students for which it isn't true any more. However, even the heartless bastards at ICE know that stuff happens and young people meet and fall in love. That's why INS and their legacy organizations have little things called adjustment and change of status. Even so, in this case, her BF's intent for being in the country would be to study, not to immigrate.

If, at a later date, they decide to change this intent and take their relationship to another level, then they may change his status to that of an immigrant classification. Dating is not a prohibited activity for nonimmigrant students nor does having a girlfriend change his nonimmigrant intent.

If you're not a citizen and not married to a citizen, the government any government wants a reason for you to be in their country and wants to know when you'll be leaving. Reasons they accept include variations on: It's easy to get in as a vacationer, but you're not allowed to work or study and you can't stay long six months out of a year in Canada, e. It's harder to get in as a student, but you're still not allowed to work full time, and you have to actually be a student.

This Couple Just Gave Excellent Long-Distance Relationship Advice To The World | HuffPost Canada

It's hardest to get in as a worker because you need to have the job already, and, well, getting jobs in one's OWN country is hard enough these days.

If you want to date someone in another country, you have to do it as either a vacationer, a student or a worker and follow the rules for that.

There's no "dating" visa, sadly. It's a difficult thing you want to do. Probably the easiest thing is for you guys to alternate "vacations" on either side of the border until you are sure about your relationship, and then get married sooner rather than later so the permanent residency can be filed in whichever country you decide to settle in.

Then it was legal for me to be in Canada full time with no end date. Five years later I was able to file for Canadian citizenship, which I received last year and am now a dual citizen.

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you mean that you have to have somethin' goin' on for two years before you can apply for a K1, that's just not so.

I filed a K1 for biscotti something like 18 months after we met. If you mean that you have to be in a relationship for 2 years to file on the basis of that relationship, that's also false -- the US has marriage and fiancee visas, and that's it. It does not have a long-term partner visa. About the only thing I can think of with a two-year requirement is that unless you've been married for two years already, your first green card is conditional and lasts for two years. You really, really, really need to retain the services of an immigration lawyer in order to get any sort of accurate answer to your question.

Both of these things are untrue. It is possible and common for people to navigate the immigration process without a lawyer, especially if they do the work to become thoroughly educated about the system and have an uncomplicated case. If you're willing to get married, K1 is a good option for bringing your boy the US.

Moving closer together sounds like a pretty good plan, too. Since you are young, I'm assuming you've never lived away from your family. As someone who has lived in your area for a long time, and who teaches students just like you, I really strongly suggest you see your situation as an opportunity to move beyond your comfort zone and experience another part of the country, or even the two of you make the move to a third country on some kind of work or study program.

The time to experiment and take chances is now. Your family will always be there.

long distance relationship canada and usa

The Northwest is a fabulous part of the country and wholly unlike Central New Jersey. Moving there might not get you into Canada, but the commute from Washington state into BC and back is a whole lot less cumbersome than you might think. From there, you and your boyfriend might figure out a way to be closer together.

It is very empowering to be on your own. Before you make long-term immigration-related plans, I would suggest moving and living on your own to see if you change.

Here's my error -- the couple must have meet within the two years prior to filling out the K-1 application.

Can long-distance relationships really work out or are they doomed to fail?

A subtle but crucial distinction. However, none of you have yet talked about the minimum income requirements required for a K-1 filer. As the OP is unemployed she cannot support her fiance financially, as is required.

I believe you can get a sponsor to vouch for you, but that's something to look into.